Monday, January 30, 2012

Better late than never (I hope)


Written December 31st, 2011

Were on the brink of 2012. Poolside in Dominican Republic with my mom, she tells me shes convinced this year will be my best yet. She can feel it in her bones. Im a tad skeptical (for months Ive been urging her to start strength training as calcium alone just wont cut it), until

That same night there's a torrential downpour, so I get into bed early to browse for new e-books. I come across Rachel Bertsche's MWF Seeking BFF. Within seconds, its been purchased and within hours, devoured. The author, a young, inquisitive, Jewish girl with a sharp sense of humor, writes words that hop, skip, and jump off the page at me like characters from an animated Disney movie.

Our situations definitely differ – she's enjoying married life and looking for new friends while Im focused on my freelance career and looking for love. So while shes platonically picking up potential BFFs at mixers, Im trolling JDate for male suitors who could turn out to be my TL (true love). In both cases, however, were actively seeking what we want (and writing about it).

When I virtually close the book at 2am Im in a full-blown writing frenzy, filled to the brim with inspiration. Time flies by in conjunction with the swooshing of my touch-screen tapping. Overcome with excitement, any hope I had of making my early morning Pilates class the next day falls by the wayside.

But that's A-ok because a bigger, better, more significant plan is in the works. At the dawn of the New Year, after doing lots of soul searching by the beach and reading Rachels work, I had an epiphany: if this girl can translate her journey into a well- received memoir, I too can transform my tell-all tales into profitable pieces. And that's how bones, BFFs, and boys came together to create my resolution for the year of the dragon, when I'll be spitting out fire like the fierce writer I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment